Caroline had been complaining that her bottom was hurting her for a few weeks, off and on. I just figured she was a little irritated down there and so I tried to wipe her extra well and put some diaper cream on it. It seemed to be a little better, but then she would complain again the next day, and was even waking up in the night screaming that it hurt! So I would put some more cream on it and she’d go back to sleep. I thought maybe she was a little constipated, so I tried to cut back on the milk and make her drink more water or a little juice, but it didn’t seem to help. She got a little better last weekend, so I figured it went away. Then earlier this week she started complaining about it again and waking up in the night crying, so I decided to take her to the doctor on Wednesday. The doctor swabbed her bottom to check for strep and pinworms (ewww!), and then was going to have her pee in a bowl to check her urine. Before Caroline could even go in the potty, the doctor came back and said the had strep in her bottom and we didn’t need the urine. She said it was just like the kind of strep you get in your mouth so she gave us some antibiotics. I was so thankful it was nothing too serious (or worms!) and she was better the next day!
When we got home, I did some research online about anal strep and realized that Luke probably had it too! He had had a little diaper rash (I thought) for a week or so that wasn’t going away, but I didn’t think anything of it since his skin is so sensitive and he wasn’t waking up in the night crying! I had read online that it can spread in bath water and I had been bathing the kids together! So I called the doctor and they called in some antibiotics for Luke as well!
On to better things…
A few weeks ago, we went to the Athens Lions Club Kiddie Carnival with some friends. Caroline loved riding the rides and there were a few that Luke could even ride on! It was so nice to have a place for younger kids to ride – the only ones I’ve ever seen are just for older kids. And to make it even better, admission was free and rides were only 50 cents each! First up was the mini Ferris wheel:
The girls did great and even rocked back and forth! Then it was on to the rocket ships and the swings:
The girls were trying to hold hands – so sweet!
Then Luke took a turn riding the wagons-turned-cars, and later Caroline followed:
We tried the train with both kids, but it was pretty loud and Caroline screamed and cried all the way around the track. The nice conductor stopped and got her off, but Luke continued riding the whole time. As soon as it stopped though, he started crying and was scared too! Oh well!
Then both kids rode the carousel before we headed home:
We liked it so much we decided to go back again the next weekend, but it rained. So we tried again with some other friends last weekend and had a great time. We brought our good camera, so these pics are better:
Luke had a blast on the cars this time and was turning the wheel and waving with excitement!
A new ride with a new friend:
Sweet buddies:
We ended the night with some funnel cake and a family pic, but I just looked gross after being in the hot and muggy night! We’ll have to make this carnival a new family tradition – I know Luke will enjoy it even more next year!


No comments:
Post a Comment