Can’t believe this little man is a year and a half! He’s getting so big and changing every day it seems! His hair is getting longer and is still SO blonde!
He’s getting very difficult to take to the doctor these days. We had his check-up this morning and he didn’t want to get weighed and just cried and held on to me and tried to get off the scale so they couldn’t get a reading. Finally, they had me get on the bigger scale by myself, then they zeroed it and let me hold him to get his weight. Then he screamed and cried when she measured his length and head. Our pediatrician got a new nurse (PTL!) and she was so nice and actually measured him correctly, despite his screaming. Here are his stats: he weighs 26 1/2 pounds (60th percentile), and is 34 3/4 inches long (97th percentile); his head circumference is 50 cm (also 97th percentile). According to his last check-up, he’s shrunk a couple of inches, ha!
When the doctor came in to look at him, it was even worse! He cried more when she listened to his chest and it’s getting almost impossible to look in his ears. He’s so strong the doctor said we might need to have Chris come in next time to help hold him down! At least we won’t have any more check-ups for another 6 months so maybe he’ll be better by then. The doctor said he’s doing great and looking good. I filled out the autism screening checklist and he passed that at every point, thankfully!
He’s wearing mostly 24-month size clothes, but 18-month pants since he has long arms and torso but short legs! He’s just getting into a size 7 shoe and I’ve just moved him up to size 5 diapers! I’m surprised that he’s in this size already (maybe because he’s a boy and so tall) because I never went bigger than 4 with Caroline before she potty trained.
His schedule is probably about the same as the last few months – he wakes up around 8-8:30, takes a nap from about 1:45 or 2 until 4 or 4:30, then goes to bed around 8. His pickiness has improved somewhat over the last couple of months, but then sometimes I feel like he regresses and doesn’t eat things he’s always eaten in the past. I’m sure he gets tired of eating the same old things every day, but I keep trying different things and he just rejects them. Plus, there are a lot of things he just can’t eat because of his allergies. He will eat most any fruit, which is good but I’m trying to get him to eat more vegetables. His favorite foods right now are Fruit Loops, cubed ham, chicken nuggets, french fries, pop tarts, soy yogurt, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, apples, and finally bananas!
He is saying so many new words now, it seems every day I’m thinking, “Has he said that word before?!” And he’s also getting better about repeating what you say. Newest words and phrases are: outside (“si”), upstairs (“stirs”), sit down, doctor, bye-bye, backpack, bubble, baby, light (“li”), bath (“ba”), doggie (and “ar ar” for barking), stuck, school, shoes, Elmo (“mo-mo”), eat, eye, nose (just says “no”), and his first complex sentence: “I see you!” I think he has tried to say Caroline but it just sounds like jibberish and his other babbling so I’m never quite sure! Or sometimes we call her “sister” and I do think he has said that a few times. Another cute think he does is when he sees a picture of Chris’ family (we call his parents Gigi and PopPop and his sister Rye), he says “Gigi Pop Rye.”
His favorite thing to do is RUN (see above)! When he wants to get somewhere, he rarely walks but has this cute little bouncy run. And sometimes he just runs in circles! He also loves to play peek-a-boo and will now cover his face with his hands and then say, “I see you” when he takes them off. He enjoys playing with Caroline (when she lets him) and tries to do what she does. He loves Elmo and will just giggle and hug his little doll so tight! One new thing he’s started doing recently is giving kisses and it’s so sweet! He’s also doing better about not hitting as much and learning to be gentle. He’ll pat us or Caroline very softly when we say, “Be gentle.”
One big adjustment we’ve had this month is taking away his pacifiers. He mainly only had them during naps and at night, but occasionally I would give it to him in the car or at the store to keep him from screaming. We took Caroline’s away at 15 months, but he was getting so many teeth in at that point (and we were traveling) so I decided to wait. And I’m glad I did because now he has most of his teeth in and he’s done pretty well without it. He screamed for over an hour and a half the first night, but then did pretty well at his nap the next day (prob because he was exhausted!). Then he only screamed for an hour the second night, and 20-30 minutes the third and none at all the fourth – success! And I was mainly worried about him waking up in the night and looking for it, but he’s only cried out the first night or two and he’s been waking up happy. I’m sure it’ll be hard when those last few teeth come in, but hopefully by then he’ll be really adjusted to not having it. I’m so relieved that this big transition is behind us! Next up in a few months, the big boy bed!


No comments:
Post a Comment