Monday, February 9, 2009

Fetal Brain Activity

At 27 weeks, our little Caroline is almost 2 1/2 pounds and about 16 inches long. At this stage of development, her brain wave activity can show different sleep cycles, including the rapid eye movement (REM) phase where dreaming occurs. Wonder what fetuses dream about?
She is also able to blink her eyes now, as well as cough, suck more intensely, and breathe better. The good news is that babies born this week, though premature, have an excellent chance of surviving because their lungs have reached the point of maturity (for the most part). Of course, there is still a lot of growing and maturing to do over the next 12 weeks, so hopefully she'll hang in there for awhile longer!

In other news, I called about the crib AGAIN last week and they said it was on backorder! They weren't sure how much longer it would be and were supposed to let me know today about it, but they didn't call. I'm just glad I ordered it early and have plenty of time before I'm due! But I just want to know about how much longer it'll be so I can plan around that.

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers